Ingredients for cake:
6 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon Stella's Table Citrus Sea Salt
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Zest of 5 small lemons & 1 small orange
1/2 cup fresh lemon/orange juice (5 small lemons and 1 small orange)
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups unsalted butter, softened
3 cups sugar
Ingredients for trifle:
1 lb. each of strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries prepared in separate bowls, taking out 1/2 cup of each fruit, adding 1 tablespoon of sugar, blending and adding it back into whole berries.
4 tablespoons sugar
8 ounces Marscapone cheese
16 ounces heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 egg whites
1 jar + 3 tablespoons Stella's Table Lemon Honey Jelly
Instructions for cake: makes enough for 1/2 sheet pan plus extra or 4 9" rounds
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the sheet pan or the cake rounds with oil and place parchment paper on oiled pan.
2) In large mixing bowl, cream butter. Once smooth, add sugar and beat until creamy. Add eggs slowly until fully blended and creamy. Mix in the lemon/orange zest.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk until combined the buttermilk, lemon/orange juice, vanilla and oil.
4) In another bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and Stella's Table Citrus Sea Salt together.
5) Start adding the flour and buttermilk mixtures to the batter by alternating between the two. Start and end with the flour mixture.
6) Once all combined, pour into your prepared baking pan. Bake for approximately 28 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean when testing.
7) Let the cake cool completely. Then remove from the pan and cut into 1 inch cubes. Set aside.
Instructions for Trifle:
1) In a bowl, mix together the Mascarpone cheese & 3 tablespoons of the Stella's Table Lemon Honey Jelly.
2) In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until you've achieved stiff peaks. Then, fold into the Marscapone mixture. Set aside.
3) In a separate mixing bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream until you've achieved stiff peaks and then add the powdered sugar and the vanilla. Mix until combined. Set aside.
4) In a small bowl, combine 1 jar of Stella's Table Lemon Honey Jelly plus 1/3 cup warm water. Mix and set aside.
Trifle assembly (we used a 14" deep, 9"round trifle bowl):
1) Place one layer of the cake cubes on the bottom of the trifle bowl. Spoon the lemon honey/water mixture onto the cake pieces (distribute evenly amongst all layers).
2) Spread a layer of strawberries onto the cake pieces.
3) Pipe in a layer of the Mascarpone cheese mixture. Start by piping along the edge and then pipe a couple of lines in the middle.
4) Repeat with each layer using each of the berries in the order you want.
5) Finish the last layer with fruit and then piped whipped cream using a pastry bag and create pretty mounds on top. Sprinkle the top with a mixture of orange and lemon zest mixed with sugar.