Impossible VEGAN Meatballs & Impossible VEGAN Lasagna
Tomato Sofritto Sauce
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped yellow or white onion
- 2-15 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1-28 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Saute the sofritto (chopped celery, onion and carrots) until translucent. Add the tomato sauce and the whole tomatoes. Bring to a simmer. Then add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Once at the boiling stage, reduce to simmer until ready to use. Remove the bay leaves.
- Minced Mushroom Sautéed (See recipe below)
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 5 teaspoons Stella’s Table Lemon Garlic Sea Salt
- 36-ounces (3 packages) vegan Impossible Burger*
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup vegan Follow Your Heart brand Grated Parmesan Cheese**
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 32-40 ounces of homemade Tomato Sofritto Sauce (see recipe above)
* Do not substitute another plant-based ground burger for impossible Burger to guarantee the taste and texture of this recipe.
**We have found that Follow Your Heart brand grated Parmesan Cheese works and tastes the best. Shredded versions so not melt as well and have a different taste.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large pot, empty the contents of both jars of Home Style Gravy, add one cup of water, stir and heat on medium. Cover with a lid. In a large bowl, mix the remaining ingredients until well combined. Form into small meatballs just under 1 1/2 inch across. Recipe should yield about 38-42 meatballs. Place meatballs on a sheet pan lined with parchment or non-stick aluminum foil. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Pull the meatballs out of the oven and then place them on the tomato sauce and simmer for one hour. This recipe is best when made the day before as the meatballs have had time to take in the flavors of the Home Style Gravy. Meatballs are always best served warm. Because of the nature of plant-based meats, the texture is a bit mushy and undesirable if served cold.
Minced Mushroom Sauté
Wash and lightly dry 24-ounces of white button or cremini mushrooms. Divide into thirds or fourths and mince each portion in a food processor (It’s easier to process smaller amounts). Sauté the mushrooms in olive oil, 1 teaspoon of Stella’s Table Lemon Garlic Sea Salt and fresh pepper to taste. Cook until the mushrooms have reduced in volume by half.
Vegan Bechamel Sauce
- 6 tablespoon vegan butter (e.g., MIYOKO’S European Style Cultured Vegan Butter)
- 4 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups non-dairy milk warmed (e.g., NOT MILK Whole Milk)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg optional
Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until thickened and bubbling, but not browned (approx. 2 minutes). Pour warm milk in the pan and continue to whisk until sauce is thickened (approx. 3 minutes). Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to the pan and stir to combine. Use immediately or If making ahead of time, place wax paper over the sauce until ready to use.
- Impossible Meatballs (see recipe above)
- Tomato Sofritto Sauce (see recipe above)
- 1 package MIYOKO’S organic Cashew Milk Mozzarella
- Follow Your Heart brand Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 16 sheets of oven-ready lasagna noodles (e.g, BARILLA Oven-Ready Lasagna)
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
In a 9x13 pan, start with a layer of tomato sauce at the bottom of the pan. Add four of the oven-ready noodles, slightly overlapping them. Add a layer of vegan bechamel sauce followed by vegan mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Next add Impossible Meatballs by breaking them up and spreading them atop the bechamel and cheese mixture. Complete the layer by adding tomato sauce across the broken-up meatballs. Repeat this step two more times. Finish with a layer of noodles topped with tomato sauce and parmesan cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes covered with foil, then uncovered for five more minutes or until the corners are brown and bubbling. Enjoy!